Though there is various choice of menu list for our daily breakfast and dinner the only comfortable and easy digestive dish is our south Indian dish “Idly”, and many side dishes compliments with Idly. Now I am comeback with drooling side dish “Potato Kurma”, this also goes well with “Dosa” too. Trust me this Hot and Spicy kurma is also tasty as its spiciness.
Thoor dhal – ½ cup
Potato – 2
Onion – 2
Tomato – 1
Garlic -2 no
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Mustard seed – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves few
Coriander leaves few
Ghee - 1 tsp
Salt – for taste
To roast and grind :
Red chilies – 1 no
Coconut Scrapings – 2 tbsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Jeera – ¼ tsp
Ani seed – ½ tsp
Pepper corns – 4 no
Cinnamon – 1’’ inch
Cloves – 2
Garlic – 3
Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Pressure cook thoor dhal with garlic and turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Cook the potatoes and mashed it and keep it aside.
- Roast and grind all the other ingredients in a mixie into smooth paste by adding some water to it.
- In a pan add a tbsp of oil and add mustard and curry leaves after they splutter add the onions to it ffry till onion turns golden brown and add chopped tomatoes and saute till tomatoes become soft and mushy.
- Now add the grounded paste to it and add enough salt and adequate water to it and keep stirring continuously till the raw smells leaves away.
- Once the masala is sauted well now add the cooked and mashed thoor dhal and potato to it and.
- You can test the spice level at this point.
- Once done switch off the stove and add a tsp of ghee and garnish with coriander leaves.
Potato Kurma is ready to Serve it with hot idly or dosa. :)
- This Kurma should not be very thick when served.
- You could try this Kurma even without adding potato.
- You can adjust the spiciness by adding red chili powder to it.