vazhakkai was always a favorite vegetable for me. In my earlier post I have posted vazhakkai podimas. This fry is similar hit at my home and we all enjoy having this fry with sambar rice and dhal, it tasted yummy.
Vazhakkai / Raw Banana – 1
Chilli powder – 1tsp
Coriander powder – ½tsp
Gram masala powder – 1/4tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Curry leaves few
Mustard seeds few
Salt to taste
Fennel seed – 1tsp
Grated coconut – 1tbsp
- Grind coconut and fennel seeds into coarse paste.
- Wash and peel the raw banana and slice them vertically ¼” thick slices.
- Put the chopped slices into water by adding little salt and leave for 10 min and drain the water completely.
- In a bowl add raw banana then wet paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt except gram masala powder and mix gently to combine well and marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- In pan heat oil add mustard seeds once splutters add curry leaves sauté them well and add the marinated raw banana slices fry well until it becomes soft and done.
- Cover with a lid and cook in low flame without adding water. Add few drops of oil now and then, and stir constantly to avoid stick on the bottom of the pan.
- Once it gets cooked and roasted sprinkle gram masala powder and fry for couple of minutes.
- Even you can deep fry the marinated raw banana slices too.
- Take care while adding salt to raw banana slices.