Pumpkins are very versatile in their uses for cooking. Whenever I buy pumpkin my first choice of recipe is this sweet thoran. It is very simple and tasty recipe with coconut and jaggery. Pumpkin is one of the very fastest cooking vegetable but the only time consuming part is cleaning. Apart from this, pumpkin is a good boost for immune system which is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Their seeds also have many health benefits, as they are a good source of protein, zinc, and other vitamins.
Pumpkin – 1 cup
Jaggery – ½ cup
Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
Roasted gram powder – 2tbsp
Ghee – 1tbsp
- Clean, remove skin and chop the pumpkin into small cubes.
- Boil water in a pan and add the chopped pumpkin and cook for 5 minutes till soft but no to mushy.
- Drain the water and spread them in a plate.
- In a pan and add jaggery with water just to immerse it and when it dissolves strain the jaggery water to avoid sand and again keep the jaggery water in fire and once it starts bubbling add grated coconut and pumpkin and stir for couple of mins.
- Finally add the roasted gram powder and mix quickly without forming any lumps.
- Stir on lower flame until all combine well (mix gently) and finally add 1 tbsp of ghee.
- Remove it from fire and serve it.
Yummy Pumpkin sweet thoran is ready to serve…
- Choose Pumpkins that is heavy for its size.
- Adjust jaggery as per sweet taste.
- The only challenge is in getting the pumpkin cooked in correct way to be soft and not to mushy or overcooked.