This is my MIL recipe.I am not a big fan of Vazhakkai but when I tasted this podimas I started liking and enjoyed it. It tastes delicious with sambar sadam or you could try simply with hot rice & ghee which tastes excellent.
Raw Banana / Vazhakkai/ Plantain – 2
Onion – 2no (finely chopped)
Red chili – 6
Turmeric powder -1/4tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dhal – 1tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4tsp
Curry leaves few
Coriander leaves few garnishing (Optional)
Salt to taste
Oil – 1tbsp
- Wash and cut the two edges of raw banana and cut into two pieces.
- Boil water and add the raw banana with skin and cook for 10 to 12 minutes till the skin turns to dull color.
- Drain out the water and peel the skin and grate the raw banana.
- Heat oil in a pan and season it with mustard seeds, urad dhal, red chili, Curry leaves and asafetida.
- Now add the onions sauté until it turns transparent.
- Add the turmeric powder and the grated raw banana and cook covered on low flame for couple of minutes.
- Finally add salt for taste and mix well and remove from flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy with rice.
- Do not over boil the raw banana.
- If u feel the grated Plantain is too dry then you can sprinkle some water while cooking.
- Finally, even can add few drops of lemon juice for tangy taste.