I am happy to publish my 50th post Shrikhand.It is served as dessert or side dish with pooris, usually in Gujarati and Maharashtrian cuisines. I have tasted this Shrikhand as a dessert for Gujarathi thali at Saravana Bhavan, Pondy Bazaar, Chennai. I become a great fan of this and really enjoyed it. After some time I started carving for this dessert and I goggled out for the recipe. And finally my taste buds was satisfied after referring to many sources to make it more authentic. This is done with basic ingredients and simple steps, but the only thing is, processing yogurt to the desired thickness takes more time.
Plain yogurt - 2cups
Powdered sugar - 2tbsp
Warm milk - 1 tbsp
Rose water - 2drops(optional)
Saffron strands few
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
- Take the curd and tied in a muslin cloth and place it in a strainer and at the bottom, place the bowl to collect the excess water.
- Keep this in refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours, to get a thick curd.
- In warm milk, crush and add saffron strands and set aside.
- Chop the pistachio and keep aside.
- Take the thick curd in a bowl, to this add powdered sugar and mix gently to get a creamy texture.
- Now add cardamom powder, saffron milk, rose water, chopped pistachios (reserve few for garnishing)and mix to combine all,until smooth and nice colour.
- Transfer this shrikhand in a serving bowl and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
- Garnish with pista and nuts and serve chill.
Enjoy the creamy yummy dessert for a hot summer…
- Keep refrigerated and enjoy, which can last for a week
- Do not squeeze the muslin cloth to remove water.