Rava Kitchadi is one of the easiest recipe to prepare, I personally like because of its soft texture and flavor of ghee. When there is perfect side dish like coconut chutney, kitchadi becomes more delicious. Also best alternative to usual upma.
Rava / Sooji – 1 cup
Semiya / Vermicelli – 1/2 cup
Onion – 1 no
Tomato – 1no
Carrot – 1no (finely chopped)
Beans – 8no (finely chopped)
Green chilly – 4 no
Water – 3 cup
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee –1 tbsp
Oil –2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
Urad Dhal – 1 tsp
Channa Dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
- Heat oil in kadai, add the ingredients listed under temper section.
- When the mustard seed starts splutters add onion, green chilly. Fry until onion becomes soft and then add tomato. Sauté until tomato become mushy.
- Add the chopped veggies and sauté for one minute.
- Now add water 3 cup and when it starts boiling, add salt & turmeric powder.
- Keep the flame low and add the semiya first after one minute mix slowly with sooji. Keep stirring continuously without forming any lumps.
- Cook in low flame till the rava gets cooked and soft.
- Finally add some ghee and mix well.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- Dry roast the rava / sooji to light golden brown color and use it works best.
- Don't cook veggie too soft. Could also use veggies like potatoes, fresh peas.
- Don't avoid adding ghee, it gives nice flavor and it last long.
- Kitchadi could also be made without semiya / Vermicelli. But reduce the water by 2 cups. I personally like kitchadi with both semiya & sooji.