Paagu Vellam / Jaggery – ¼ cup (Powdered)
Poori – 1 litre
Water as needed
Ghee – 1tsp
- In a pan add powdered jaggery and add water till it immerses it. When the jaggery completely dissolves, strain it to remove the impurities.
- Again bring it to boil for 5 minutes, at this stage add a tsp of ghee. To check the consistency of the paagu patham(in tamil), take a small bowl with water and add a tsp of jaggery syrup to the water, it should not get dissolved.
- Also, use your fingers to roll jaggery syrup which is in the water, you should able to get a hard ball and does not stick with your fingers.
- Switch off the flame.
- In a wide bowl add the puffed rice to the jaggery syrup and mix it quickly to make sure the puffed rice is well coated with syrup.
- Grease your palms with ghee and make rough balls quickly when it is warm.
- To get a good round shaped pori urundai, place the roughly rolled balls in a wide vessel and rotate in both clock & anti clock wise horizontally.
- For the above mentioned quantity, you should be getting approximately 18 to 20 balls.
- Store it in airtight container, the crispiness will stay good for 3 to 4 days.
- The measurement of the jaggery depends on the jaggery’s sweetness.