Murukku is one of the favorite to all and for me also. It is very simple yet very delicious snack. It’s very common and popular savory snack which are prepared in their traditional method. In my childhood days my mom used to prepare this murukku for diwali and I carved for it especially the aravekadu murukku (half fried murukku) hmmm…it is simply adorable. Let’s go for the recipe…
Rice flour - 3 cup
Roasted gram / pottukadalai powder - 1 cup
Water – 3 cup
Oil – 2 tbsp
Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
Hing – ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
oil for deep frying
- Powdered the roasted gram into fine powder and sieve it.
- In a heavy bottom pan, boil water by adding salt, sesame seeds and oil 1 tbsp.
- Once it starts boiling add the rice flour and mix well without forming any lumps and switch off the flame.
- Cover the pan and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Now add the roasted gram powder and hing to the rice flour mixture and sprinkle some water to it and knead well by adding 1 tbsp of oil until smooth dough.
- Make sure it has the right consistency to pass through the murukku pressure and use the single hole for preparing
- Now heat the oil for deep frying.
- Grease some oil in the murukku maker and fill the dough into it.
- Draw the circles and drop into the hot oil and deep fry until they are golden brown in colour.
- Drain them in a paper towel to remove excess oil, let them cool.Store it in an air tight container.
Crispy and tasty homemade murukku is ready…
Enjoy munching with your choice of pickle.