I packed few veggies from India which was freshly picked from ‘thootam‘. I decided to bring because of its freshness and taste. When my MIL prepared this pulusu it was excellent and tasty.
Brinjal – 4nos (I used purple colour in long one)
Shallots /Small onions -10 nos
Tomato – 1medium
Toor dhal – 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste – 1tbsp
Jaggery – 1tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Coriander leaves few
Salt to taste
Coconut – 2tbsp
Green Chillies – 5no
Musturad seeds – 1/4tsp
Curry leaves few
Hing – 1/4tsp
Oil/ghee – 2tsp
- Pressure cook the toor dhal with enough water by adding turmeric powder and strain the water separately and keep aside.
- Make a smooth paste of coconut and green chillies by adding little water and keep aside.
- Cut the brinjal into desired shapes, including the stem part also.
- Peel the skin of shallots and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the ground paste and sauté for 2 minute to leave the raw smell.
- Then add the chopped brinjal, shallots and tomatoes and fry well. Now add the cooked toor dhal water and close the pan with lid and cook until the brinjal becomes soft.
- Now add the cooked dhal, salt, Tamarind paste and jaggery and mix well and allow boiling for couple of minute.
- Finely season with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with hot rice and Vendakai fry.